The Nature of Existence
This is about how things work, from the big to the small and everything in between. From the theories of gravity and relativity, concepts of space-time and black holes to the philosophically challenging discoveries of Quantum Physics.
The Existence of Nature
There are so many ways to engage with this topic. For those amongst us lucky enough to live in or close to nature, it isn’t difficult to appreciate it and surround ourselves in it.
But a significant proportion of the human population is not so fortunate! Worse than that, the true scope, diversity and beauty of nature in it’s entirety is arguably beyond most of us! This is true but for the efforts of a few organisations and fewer individuals! Most notably amongst these would be the BBC Natural History Unit’s “The Natural World” and Sir David Attenborough’s work over the last 6 decades.
The Nature of Existence
This means ‘how it works’. How it all works! How Nature works. Rules and laws of physics that govern our very existence from Gravity to Quantum physics in all it’s strange and varying interpretations, and everything in between. Including us.
The Small – Quantum Physics
This is probably the strangest and most important field of study within physics at the moment with regard to it’s philosophical implications and how it relates to the study of consciousness and the Mind-Body Frontier.
At the cutting edge of investigating the very fundamental particles that constitute the fabric of reality is CERN.
“What is the nature of our universe?”“What is it made of?”
“If you think you have understood Quantum Physics, you haven’t understood it at all!”
Looking for a true, experiential understanding.
This is such a huge and important field of study at the very frontier of science and our very Human development. There is so much to understand and discover and so much pressure in today’s world to come to the widespread insights and knowledge needed in order to transcend who and what we are as a global community and to really fulfil our potential as a species.
This is the current Scientific Frontier
- Mind-Body Studies
- Cognitive Science
- Altered States of Consciousness
- Sleep Studies
Healthy Minds Innovations
Wellbeing, down to a science
Healthy Minds Innovations believe a healthy mind is the key to achieving well-being in all parts of yourself. They also believe that the more people they can help achieve these holistic levels of well-being, the kinder, wiser, and more compassionate our world will become. So using neuroscientific research as their guide, they design and develop tools that can help people build these skills.
- Healthy Minds Innovations translate science into tools to cultivate and measure well-being, and they strive to create a kinder, wiser, more compassionate world.
- Healthy Minds Innovations, Inc. (HMI) was started in 2014 by world-renowned neuroscientist Dr. Richard Davidson. They are a nonprofit affiliated with the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison driven by a mission to translate science into tools to cultivate and measure well-being.
THE HEALTHY MINDS PROGRAM FRAMEWORK
As you build up awareness, you’ll begin to notice your thoughts, emotions, and impulses more clearly. This will help you improve your inner balance and truly be present at work and in your relationships.
Cultivating qualities like appreciation and kindness strengthens your positive connections with other people. This increases your resilience and boosts well-being.
As you get more and more curious about how your mind works, you’ll see how your thoughts and emotions influence the way you see the world. This can help you turn challenges and adversity into opportunities for growth and understanding.
Purpose involves fortifying your ability to keep your most deeply held values front and center in your life, relationships, and at work. A sense of purpose is what helps you see the bigger picture–and stay genuinely motivated.
HEALTHY MINDS PROGRAM APP
- The Healthy Minds Program App is your easy-to-use guide to well-being.
- Your path to wellbeing, powered by Science
- The Healthy Minds Program App is freely available
- You won’t find a paywall or a subscription fee
Center For Healthy Minds
What if the world were a kinder, wiser, more compassionate place?
Founded by world renowned neuroscientist Dr. Richard J. Davidson, the Center for Healthy Minds envisions a kinder, wiser, more compassionate world.
Our mission is to cultivate well-being and relieve suffering through a scientific understanding of the mind.
Our research, rooted in neuroscience, comes down to one basic question: What constitutes a healthy mind?
- Our Mission: Cultivate well-being and relieve suffering through a scientific understanding of the mind
- Our Vision: A kinder, wiser, more compassionate world
Conduct our work with rigor
We are dedicated to meeting our mission through high quality work, whether it’s research or other initiatives
Make an impact on the world
Impact is the grounding principle for all the research and work we do together
Cultivate a prosocial workplace
How we do our work together matters.
The Science of Meditation
The Science of Meditation: How to Change Your Brain, Mind and Body. Gripping in its storytelling and based on a lifetime of thought and action, this is one of those rare books that has the power to change us at the deepest level. ‘This is a book that really can change your life
- Daniel Goleman (Author)
- Daniel Goleman, PhD, author of five New York Times bestsellers, is best known for his paradigm-shifting book Emotional Intelligence, a global bestseller, and has a long-standing interest in meditation dating back to his two years in India as a graduate student at Harvard. His books have been translated into more than forty languages
- Richard Davidson (Author)
- Richard J. Davidson received his PhD from Harvard in psychology, and has been at Wisconsin since 1984, where he directs the Waisman Brain Imaging Lab, the Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience and the Center for Investigating Healthy Minds. He has been chosen as one of Time‘s ‘100 most influential people in the world’.Finally, we’ve reached the end of the list
“The definitive book on the science of meditation. Rigorously researched and deeply illuminating”
-Daniel Gilbert, author of the New York Times bestseller Stumbling on Happiness
Awakening from the Meaning Crisis
In this series Vervaeke will give the history of the meaning crisis, how it is affecting society today, and then give an account on how we can address this problem. … Weaving together historical narrative and contemporary science to paint a compelling picture of foundation of the meta-crisis of out times.
Cognitive science, deep history and philosophy at its best. John Vervaeke, PhD is an award-winning lecturer at the University of Toronto in the departments of psychology, cognitive science and Buddhist psychology.
- Part 1 of John Vervaeke’s lecture series (ten lectures published so far) on how cognitive science, existential philosophy, Buddhism, Hellenistic philosophy and psychedelics can be used to address the meaning crisis. John Vervaeke, PhD is an award-winning lecturer at the University of Toronto in the departments of psychology, cognitive science and Buddhist psychology. In this series Vervaeke will give the history of the meaning crisis, how it is affecting society today, and then give an account on how we can address this problem. Very well integrated understanding. Weaving together historical narrative and contemporary science to paint a compelling picture of foundation of the meta-crisis of out times.
Dr. John Vervaeke
- John Vervaeke is a lecturer and assistant professor at the University of Toronto
- Fields of Study: Perception, Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience
- John Vervaeke is one of only three lecturers at the University of Toronto considered “life-changing” by students.
“No problem can be solved by the same level of consciousness that created it”
– Albert Einstein
Dedicated to ENLIGHTENMENT OF THE HUMAN RACE